Some research queries can be answered fairly quickly either by email, in person or by telephone. Others take much more time depending on the scope and depth of the request.
The Museum has an extensive archival collection which includes such items as photographs, maps, books, directories to name a few.
NOTE: Public access to the collection for research shall be at the discretion of the Director / Curator and the Collections Registrar taking into account the type of research to be done; the condition of the artifact / archive and its rarity.
For individuals wishing to utilize the Museum’s collection to complete research, the following will apply:
The individual must specify the area of interest and the specific use that the reproductions will be used for.
- An appointment to do research will need to be scheduled due to limited staff resources. Appointments to do on-site research will be scheduled as staff time permits.
- Any research that results in publication of photos, documents, etc. from the Archival Collections of the Sault Ste. Marie Museum, a copy of such publication must be provided to the Sault Ste. Marie Museum at no cost for its Archival Collection.
- Use of reproductions must be credited to the Museum and the reproduction has been reprinted with permission of the Sault Ste. Marie Museum.
- In accordance with Copyright Law, reproductions of archival materials that are within the Public Domain only can be provided to researchers.
- Fees do apply for large or extensive research requests.
The Sault Ste. Marie Museum’s website comprises and contains copyrighted works. Copyright in such works remains with the Sault Ste. Marie Museum and other copyright owners. The works are protected by the Copyright Act, and the regulations thereunder.
Information on our website has been posted with the intent that it be readily available for non-commercial, personal use only. Personal users may download, copy or share the material under the following conditions: the material must not be modified, must retain any associated copyright or other proprietary notices, and must acknowledge the source of the material. The source citations should include the wording “Courtesy of Sault Ste. Marie Museum”. Users must adhere to any additional terms and restrictions that may appear on individual pages of the website.
All other users are prohibited without the express written authorization of the Sault Ste. Marie Museum or the copyright owner, including:
a) reproduction of any kind in any medium and redistribution in any manner for commercial use*, including commercial publication, or
b) for personal gain.
Definition of Commercial Use
Sault Ste. Marie Museum material used in a product produced by a commercial entity or by a non-profit entity for profit-making, commercial purposes or a product produced and distributed free of charge, at cost, or at a minimal charge generally by a non-profit organization.
Anyone wishing to use the materials from this website for these or other purposes must obtain prior written approval from the Sault Ste. Marie Museum. Permission for such use is granted on a case-by-case basis and at the sole discretion of the Museum.
For information on and permission to use images and other materials on our website, including licensing requests, and other media such as film or video, please contact the Museum.